Saturday 8 June 2013

Vegetarians

Now this is a post which I would have never thought of writing. Till this day, I am not a vegetarian myself although I have a really high esteem for people who are.

Yesterday I read a post by my lovely friend Jess Edwards (who is a vegetarian herself)(http://justalittlesomething26.blogspot.com/) and it got me thinking. In her post she added a link to http://www.meat.org/ which includes a video about slaughterhouses and what advantages there are to being a vegetarian. I must say the video shocked me very much and I have decided to pledge to try a vegetarian diet for 30 days (the pledge is also a part of the link above).

I do realise that this is not a decision that one takes from one day to the next. For a person who has been eating meat all her life, it is difficult to suddenly remove all meat products from her diet. This is why I have decided to try this 30-day 'trial'. It is easier to think that it will only last for a short period at first, or at least that's what I think. I think that one of the main difficulties with becoming a vegetarian is the fact that people around you still eat meat. If I do actually become a vegetarian, I know that my family will still eat meat and I will have to find alternative meals to eat. I must admit, I thought my mother was going to be less understanding about the subject but when I talked to her about it she was quite comprehensive and that gave me greater courage. I am also going to add another link which I have found very helpful ... there are a number of recipes and products which a vegetarian can consume listed here: http://features.peta.org/VegetarianStarterKit/.

I mainly decided to write this post to create awareness that it is a myth that animals are killed in a humane and painless way for their meat. Apart from this, I would like to invite any of you who are reading this post to at least try the 30-day pledge. I will keep you updated with how my meat-less diet is going. If any of you try this or are already a vegetarian, I would really like to read your comments on the topic or any useful tips you might have :).

Today's song has nothing to do with what I wrote but this is another group which I find absolutely amazing!

Till next time xx

No comments:

Post a Comment